Wednesday, December 16

A slight argument...

My fiancé had an appointment with his client at 6pm in Centre Point, Bandar Utama (BU). Since he’s down with flue and mild fewer, he needed a companion to converse along the ride so, I tagged along. It was hell jam from Puchong down to BU.

God knows for what reason, we had a small argument. He gave me a hard-cold-lecture which made that moment most horrible. Tears were flowing slowly down my cheekbones until I reach BU. I know that was long! Since I was looking like a ugly duckling, I told my fiancé to carry on with his appointment and I would stay back in the car. (marah mah..)

After about 15 minutes, I had already sensed the burning sensation in my stomach. I was dreadfully hungry because I had skipped my lunch today. P/S: I have severe gastric problems. But, I didn’t want to get the McDonald’s because I knew my fiancé was there. Instead, I walked towards the ‘Caltex petrol station’ which was about 300m away. I got myself a High5 cream roll (Double Crème espresso & Krim), Silver Bird Rich Fruit cake, and a Star news paper. The fruit cake was good. I liked it very much.

High5 double cream roll

Once I’m done eating, I chucked the packs away and hold on to my Star news paper as though nothing happen. I glanced through the Jobs column when my fiancé finally knocked the door at 7.30pm. On the way back home, he stopped at Sri Bala’s restaurant (Kelana Jaya) for dinner. He thought I was dead hungry. Fiancé choose to eat rice and I ordered a Magee goreng for myself. (shuuu!)

Nothing happen after that…he sent me home.

Silver Bird Rich Fruit cake

Anyways, since Christmas is just around the around, I though it would great to share fruit cake recipe.

Christmas Fruitcake Recipe:
1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (110 grams) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (110 grams) dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons brandy plus extra for brushing the cake
Juice and zest (outer orange skin) of one orange
Zest (outer yellow skin) of one lemon
3/4 cup (65 grams) ground almonds
1 cup (100 grams) hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, or almonds, chopped
1 1/2 pounds (680 grams) of an assortment of dried fruits (dried apricots, figs, prunes, etc.), candied and chopped mixed peel, and glace cherries (chopped into bite size pieces)
3/4 pound (340 grams) of an assortment of raisins, sultanas, currants, dried cranberries and/or cherries
2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Methods
Butter, or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray, an 8 inch (20 cm) spring form pan with a removable bottom. Line the bottom of the pan with buttered parchment paper. Also line the sides of the pan with a strip of buttered parchment paper that extends about 2 inches above the pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).

In the bowl of your electric mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the brandy, juice and zest of the orange, and zest of the lemon. Then fold in the ground almonds, chopped nuts, and all the dried and candied fruits. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder and fold this into the cake batter.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and place the spring form pan on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and continue to bake the cake for another 1 hour 30 minutes or until a long skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. With a skewer poke holes in the top surface of the cake and brush with a little brandy. Wrap the cake thoroughly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and place in a cake tin or plastic bag. Brush the cake periodically (once or twice a week) with brandy until Christmas. This cake will keep several weeks or it can be frozen.

Serves about 14 to 16 people.

Source:
Slater, Nigel. The Kitchen Diaries. Fourth Estate. London. 2005.

Photo Courtesy of http://www.silverbird.com.my/daily.php

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

fuhdee... Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template